Senior Software Engineer
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2023
Hello there. We’re Zopa.
We began our journey in 2005 with the drive to deliver customer-first financial products. Fast forward to 2020, we shifted gears and became a digital bank, leveraging our customer knowledge, money expertise and technical agility to forge ahead. Our diverse team is united by a mission to create simple, fair and honest financial products that have the customers’ needs at their heart.
We’re regularly recognised at industry awards for our game-changing products and are proud to be one of the market leaders in consumer lending in the UK. But our work doesn’t stop there.
After securing £220 million in our 2021 funding round led by SoftBank, we’ve entered the next stage in our journey. So far, we’ve lent out over £8 billion and made money work better for over half a million people across the UK who were looking to borrow or save with us. In less than 2 years after becoming a bank, we hit £2 billion in customer deposits and we’re also a top 5 credit card issuer in the UK. And this is just the beginning.
We’re set on achieving big things with ambitious growth targets to match. This means there's a range of opportunities for you to excel and develop through a career at Zopa, while building better banking products that truly matter to our customers.
If you embrace unconventional challenges, are unafraid to think differently and are driven to make an outsized impact, you’ll thrive here at Zopa. For a closer look at our culture, check out our latest video here. And if you want to join us, have a look at our current open roles!
This role is an exciting opportunity to work in our new Current Accounts team. We want to transform the Current Accounts space as we have already done with loans, savings, credit cards and car finance, tying together our Zopa ecosystem, with big ambitions targeting over 1m+ active customers in 3 years' time. This role will be crucial to helping us get there so there's big opportunity for some serious career defining impact.
At Zopa, our teams are small, Agile and cross-functional so you can expect to interact with stakeholders and key business users daily. We are big believers in a lean philosophy and flexibility in implementation, while aiming to achieve stack consistency and alignment across the board. As a Senior Software Engineer you will be experienced solving complex engineering problems, understand the full SDLC and operate, not just create, production environments. Our Senior Engineers understand the trade-offs between risk, quality, speed as well as short-term vs long-term value, all the whilst keeping focused on customer needs. Above all, we want team players focused on improving the organisation and the people around them.
Here is some of the Tech Stack you will be working with: Kotlin, Kafka, Kubernetes, Docker, Jenkins, AWS, Aurora Postgres, SQL just to name a few.
- Owning the code, quality and delivery of team initiatives
- Collaborating with key stakeholders across the business
- Contributing to the roadmap and requirement gathering
- Improving team processes and environment
- Supporting and mentoring junior members of the team
- Participating in planning and prioritisation discussions
- You are experienced working with Java or Kotlin.
- You love shipping great products, not just writing superb code.
- You feel comfortable in a fast-moving environment and are ambitious about the speed and quality of your code. We ship our code multiple times a week with the impact measured in the result for the customer, not lines of code.
- An advocate of test-driven development or, even better, behaviour-driven development. A strong commitment to quality is essential.
- You've worked on large scale distributed software systems that have proven scalability and complex topologies.
- Enjoy talking to key stakeholders and understand and show passion for the business objectives of the company.
- You are comfortable with a fair bit of uncertainty, fast change, and love solving hard problems collaboratively.
- You are a team player who thrives working in an honest and friendly working atmosphere. We have a flat hierarchy and give you the opportunity to make a real impact.
Click here to check out what our engineers have to say about our tech stack, what it’s like to work here and what they enjoy most
Flexible working? Yes please!
Whether you want to come into our open-plan, riverside London Bridge office or work from the comfort of your own home (or both!), you’ll be able to decide on an approach with your manager, looking at what works best for you, your role and your team.
Not only that – you'll also have the option of working from abroad for up to 120 days a year!* But no matter where you are, we’ll make sure you’ve got everything you need to thrive, both in your work and home life, from day one.
*Subject to having the right to work in the country of choice
To thrive here, you’ll need to:
Champion our customers. Whatever your role, you’ll be close to our customers. We care passionately about doing the best for them.
Help us make fearless choices. Our environment is fast-paced, agile and open. You’ll solve interesting and challenging problems, and be trusted and empowered to bring your ideas to life.
Walk the talk. Like us, you’ll be honest, stick to your promises and face the tough moments head-on.
Win smarter. You’ll be always on the lookout for a better way of doing things, going beyond ‘good enough’ and welcoming different points of view.
Be in it together. You’ll join an ambitious, diverse and all-round approachable team with a mix of ideas and talents who inspire each other to be better every day.
Zopa is proud to offer a workplace free from discrimination. Diversity of experience, perspectives, and backgrounds leads to great products and unique company culture. We simply can’t expect to empower our customers to better manage their money without challenging the current status quo. Creating the best place for money is no easy task, which is why we need talent from all walks of life.
See more open positions at Zopa
Something looks off?