Treasury Manager - Funding and Liquidity
Accounting & Finance
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2023
Hello there. We’re Zopa.
We began our journey in 2005 with the drive to deliver customer-first financial products. Fast forward to 2020, we shifted gears and became a digital bank, leveraging our customer knowledge, money expertise and technical agility to forge ahead. Our diverse team is united by a mission to create simple, fair and honest financial products that have the customers’ needs at their heart.
We’re regularly recognised at industry awards for our game-changing products and are proud to be one of the market leaders in consumer lending in the UK. But our work doesn’t stop there.
After securing £220 million in our 2021 funding round led by SoftBank, we’ve entered the next stage in our journey. So far, we’ve lent out over £8 billion and made money work better for over half a million people across the UK who were looking to borrow or save with us. In less than 2 years after becoming a bank, we hit £2 billion in customer deposits and we’re also a top 5 credit card issuer in the UK. And this is just the beginning.
We’re set on achieving big things with ambitious growth targets to match. This means there's a range of opportunities for you to excel and develop through a career at Zopa, while building better banking products that truly matter to our customers.
If you embrace unconventional challenges, are unafraid to think differently and are driven to make an outsized impact, you’ll thrive here at Zopa. For a closer look at our culture, check out our latest video here. And if you want to join us, have a look at our current open roles!
Reporting to the Head of Treasury, you will be responsible for developing the Bank’s approach to wholesale funding, as well as diversifying the Bank’s liquid asset portfolio. As a member of a relatively small team you will also be actively involved in supporting all aspects of Treasury’s activities, including interest rate risk, cash management and liquidity risk. The role will also be heavily involved in preparing for key internal meetings, including ALCO.
A day in the life:
- Develop the Bank’s wholesale funding capability, particularly in relation to secured funding. This will cover the preparation of data tapes, interaction with key stakeholders and responding to their queries and making recommendations to senior management.
- Manage the Bank’s collateral requirements with the Bank of England, ensuring sufficient eligible collateral remains in place at all times.
- Manage the Bank’s encumbrance levels and support FP&A team in forecasting future requirements.
- Explore the diversification of the Bank’s liquid asset portfolio, providing an assessment of the wider impacts of any investment decisions.
- Set up appropriate governance to approve recommended diversification including credit approval, ongoing valuation and accounting treatment.
- Support colleagues in the production of key regulatory documents, including ICAAP and ILAAP, with particular focus on Treasury related inputs.
- Accountable for relevant policies and standards, ensuring these are updated to reflect changes in business and regulatory requirements, and are enforced for compliance
- Support the Treasurer in managing ongoing compliance requirements, including the update of the RCSAs.
- Enhance use of Finance/Treasury systems
- Be responsible for monitoring of all relevant risks, keeping up to date with internal and regulatory changes
- Assist regulatory reporting team with key judgments on Treasury regulatory reports
- Assist with preparation of MI and relevant updates for reporting to ALCO and Bank Board
- Identify and manage projects as required
- Work collaboratively with internal groups including Accounting, FP&A, Capital Markets, Regulatory Reporting, Risk & Compliance, IT, Operations and Legal
- Work with all other members of the Treasury team to ensure all activities have appropriate levels of cover and support. Share subject expertise with colleagues in Treasury and across the Bank to further develop the understanding of key topics.
- You’ll have extensive experience in Treasury, ideally with UK retail banks or building societies. This experience would preferably include funding issuance or HQLA management.
- You’re able to communicate effectively by explaining complex concepts in simple terms
- Are confident in using appropriate software tools and programs to support your activity and are willing to learn new ones as required.
- Have a good understanding of all relevant regulation and how it impacts the Bank
- You’re able to work well with cross functional teams and external partners
- Have strong quantitative skills, problem-solving, and must be detail-oriented
- A strong interest in Fintech and broader financial services industry
- A fast learner – keen to learn new knowledge, concepts, process and system
- You have experience of dealing with complex process flows and driving process improvements
- You’re able to organise and analyse statistical data and prepare comprehensive reports
You'll be part of a small experienced Treasury team within a growing Bank, where you will get first-hand experience of everything a bank Treasury deals with, making a meaningful contribution straight away. Zopa is a fun, fast-moving, non-hierarchical and meritocratic environment in which you will feel challenged and recognised
Flexible working? Yes please!
Whether you want to come into our open-plan, riverside London Bridge office or work from the comfort of your own home (or both!), you’ll be able to decide on an approach with your manager, looking at what works best for you, your role and your team.
Not only that – you'll also have the option of working from abroad for up to 120 days a year!* But no matter where you are, we’ll make sure you’ve got everything you need to thrive, both in your work and home life, from day one.
*Subject to having the right to work in the country of choice
To thrive here, you’ll need to:
Champion our customers. Whatever your role, you’ll be close to our customers. We care passionately about doing the best for them.
Help us make fearless choices. Our environment is fast-paced, agile and open. You’ll solve interesting and challenging problems, and be trusted and empowered to bring your ideas to life.
Walk the talk. Like us, you’ll be honest, stick to your promises and face the tough moments head-on.
Win smarter. You’ll be always on the lookout for a better way of doing things, going beyond ‘good enough’ and welcoming different points of view.
Be in it together. You’ll join an ambitious, diverse and all-round approachable team with a mix of ideas and talents who inspire each other to be better every day.
Zopa is proud to offer a workplace free from discrimination. Diversity of experience, perspectives, and backgrounds leads to great products and unique company culture. We simply can’t expect to empower our customers to better manage their money without challenging the current status quo. Creating the best place for money is no easy task, which is why we need talent from all walks of life.
See more open positions at Zopa
Something looks off?